If someone owns a piece of land, do they own it all the way to the center of the Earth?

We all know that when owning land it is surveyed to show you where you land boundaries are, to show exactly how wide your land is and how long your land is, and exactly how much land you own. But just how deep does your land go? Is there any law that tells a land owner how far down towards the Earth's core he owns? Just how deep can we dig down on our own land? Well I know as a child, we dug down 500 feet for a water well.

On that note how about the area above your land?

I own the trees that are own my land and some are 15-20 feet tall so I must own the air space that extends to the top of my trees. I on the land that goes up the mountainside so I must own the air space that extends up the mountain to my property line. If I build a 5 story high home then I must own the air space all the way to the top of my roof line. So if we own the air space of our property, then why aren't we getting any kickbacks on "Cell Phone Air Time", or "Flying Time of Air Crafts"?

Hummmm interesting question is you ask me!?!


This entry was posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: